Monday, February 16, 2009

this week

I haven't posted much later, which probably doesn't matter because I don't think anyone reads this, but anyway...

It has been a sad week for Victoria. Even though I have not been directly affected by the recent bush fires, I have found that the tragedy has really gotten to me. Every night since last Sunday I have had nightmares about fire, mainly ones where I have to flee my home. I've been paranoid about knowing exactly where all my most important possessions are just in case something happens. In reality, the affected areas are nowhere near where I live, but I've found myself worrying that the Dandenongs might go up, and although even in that case there would still be little threat to me, I think I would want to feel prepared and ready to go. On Friday morning and last night there were fires up there but they were put out quickly, it did force a lot of smoke into our area though. I don't know, I just can't stop thinking about it all.

On the upside, on Friday all the Coles stores in Australia pledged to donate all of their profits to the Bush Fire Appeal, and our sales for the day were about $326,000 (to give some perspective, on a normal Friday we would usually do around $150,000). I don't know what percentage of that is profit (my dad thinks approximately 5%), but even so it was really good thing of them to do. It was good, as a staff member, to see the public make the effort to change their plans to ensure their money went to a good cause. Even though it was insanely busy, I didn't feel bitter towards all the customers like I often do on days like that (i.e. Christmas Eve). For the record, I usually feel bitter because mainly when that happens it's right before a significant day or, God forbid, a day we are closed, and I feel like people could just be better organised and less annoying in general.

I don't really feel like writing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment